XenaCommanders Place

"Participating in Life"

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > RNMC Easy Rider Run Sun 6 Dec 2009

XenaCommander
Site Owner

Sunday morning in Auckland...  Unusual these days as we are normally down in Turangi working on the truck..  But it is up here in the shop getting some work done so it allows us to do some fun stuff around the Auckland area.   Yesterday was the BRONZ Toy Run...   Today is the Rusty Nuts Motorcycle Club's Easy Rider Run...  This one marks the 10 years since the first RNMC Easy Rider Run...

I decided to take Xena on this run...   TK was going to ride pillion but decided to take the VTR out for a run and test her endurance...   She is getting better at longer rides...    Although this ride was only a little over 200 kms.

We head off to Newmarket around 9:00am for the start..   No other bikes there when we turned up..  Typical.. got the time wrong again but they soon started to turn up...

A nice array of bikes..  big and small..  many different models.. and sizes.. 

Xena waiting patiently...  She loves a long ride...   The red T Shirts belong to the members of the Rusty Nuts..  There aren't many of them but they are special guys.

Lee Rusty gave us our instructions..    Written sheets with detailed directions about where we had to go...  Mostly back roads..  all sealed at least but mostly not main highways..    I recognised some of the roads but there were many that I had not been on before...   

Although I had the GPS on Xena...  I didn't take the laptop to load the route on before we left..!!!   A bit dangerous as I am a notoriously bad navigator....   So this was going to be a test....

We head off just before Ten...   We were all mounted...  engines running and waiting for the first rider to take the lead...    Nobody moved...    Waiting... Waiting....   Oh buggar...  I will lead..  So headed off to the St Marks on ramp to the Southern Motorway...  

OMG...  they are all following me..!!!    They really shouldn't do that..!!

Got to the on ramp...  only to find that it was closed for works... !!   great start...  So I just kept going to Remuera Road and down Ascott Ave  to the Greenlane intersection to join the Motorway south....    Nice easy riding on the motorway...  fine weather..  what else can you need...   Corners..  lets get off this highway...

Instructions say take the turn off at Drury and then onto the back roads... towards Pukekohe...    I managed to stay on the right track for a while...   The lights in the rear vision mirrors told me that they were thinking that I knew where I was going....

Then I misread the instructions going through Pukekohe and some riders broke off to find their own way..  A wise move..    I finally figured out where I went wrong and worked out a short cut to get onto the West Road and managed to get back on track again...      Then we were on roads like Aka Aka Road...    Then Aka Aka Church Road...    places I have never been before..

Otaua Road to Hoods Landing Road...   To Forrestry Road...  Now this was a challenge...     Forrest Road seemed to take 90 degree turns while another road went straight..!!!    I overshot one turn with a few following me...  did a 180 and corrected...     Riding up Forrestry to Thompson... to Whiriwhiri Road..   I spotted a rifle range which I had heard about but didn't know where it was..  Will return here for a shoot one day...

We followed Whiriwhiri into Waiuku before heading out again on the back road of Constable and Karioitahi Rd joining onto Kohekohe Karioitahi Rd...     I was a little familiar with this road as I had done  BMWOR run recently that came this way...    I knew there was a 90 degree turn up ahead..   TK passed me on the VTR and took over the lead..  I just hoped that she knew where the turnoff was...

Sure enough the turn came up and she shot passed it before realising..   I gave her a toot and turned with the others following behind me...    These roads have some nice twisty bits...   enjoying the ride.. the corners..  Xena purring along...     A couple of scares when you go over a crest of a corner and find marble gravel on the seal...   Xena's rear does a little "ssllliiipp"...   a slight pull on the opposite handle bar pulls her upright and then correct the new line...  I paused at Awhitu Road to await for TK to catch up...  no sign ..  she can't be far away so I proceeded along Awhitu Road to Kemp Road..   So far I haven't missed many turns...   but it gets worse..!!

Along Kemp Road..  Nice back roads...   still no sign of TK but I am sure she is managing ok.... 

Left onto Manukau Heads Road..  I knew where we were going and got prepared for the quick right turn onto Boiler Gully Road...   The guys were right behind me so it was going to be interesting...  I missed the warning sign on the GPS and only spotted the sign at the last second..  Jumped on the anchor and geared down to make a quick turn...  One guy behind me overshot...   probably for safety..  well done...

This road is steep and twisty so I enjoyed some gear changing turns....

When we got to the Tram Gully Road I stopped and had a stretch...   Bikes caught up quickly TK joined the bunch... 

More to come...

We must have dropped a couple at least...

Xena on right and TK's VTR on left while drinks were had and toilet breaks taken...

Nobody else turned up so lets go......   Helmets on.. and off we go again...

I seemed to be up front again...  I better pretend I know where I am going...    

Well that didn't last long...  We joined Awhitu Road again and rode down to Pollok...   I had not worked out the turn before I had gone well past it..   I should have turned onto and ride some of the back roads and rejoin Awhitu Road again further south...  Ooooh buggar...   Lights in the mirror..  everyone following me... Oh well I will pretend I didn't notice..  :mad:

We continued down to Waiuku again ... and on the other side of Waiuku I took a wrong road..  I should have gone on to Collingwood Rd and then the Glenbrook Waiuku Rd...   but I went straight to Kitchener and Waiuku...  I realised my mistake and turned on Glenbrook Station Road to rejoin Glenbrook Rd and back on track again... Riding right through to Karaka and the motorway North..  Getting off again at Takanini and finding the finish just past the Shell Station on the Left at the bike shop.... 

A few bikes had gone the right way of course and had arrived before me...  but we got there in the end..!!

Finish line and welcome...    Covered 214km...   the nice smell cooking burgers on the BBQ and

The boss Rusty Lee handing out American Beer of course..  Budweiser and Chocolate Fish... 

Not a large group of riders...  but keen riders none the less...   all good folk who enjoy riding...

Swapping stories...  enjoying a drink...  and a big feed of burgers and hot dogs in American fasion to commemorate the Easy Rider tradition....

Not sure you can see much detail on this map but it is the GPS track of the ride...  of course without the bits I missed..!!   Don't blame me.. It was the GPS's fault..!!

Another great ride...   great company...  and a badge to add to the vest..

Thanks to Lee Rusty for arranging the run...

Whats next...

XC

--

Participating in Life

December 13, 2009 at 4:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.