|Posted by XenaCommander on December 24, 2015 at 2:15 AM|
Bed Base Begins...
I spent a day working out how to stow my fresh water hose somewhere near the tank filler... I didn't want to carry it inside the truck so I put the thinkning cap on... There is room in the air tank cupboard above the filler taps... but the clear space is difficult... So I somehow managed to fabricate a box to put the bag that contains the food quality hose for filling. Fixing it was tricky but got there in the end. I also managed to find somewhere for the black hose container... I built a couple of cradles and strapped it down on top of the chassis rail. I haven't taken a pic yet but will do so.
I next wanted to make some progress in the bedroom... I had picked up all the ply required to build the base a week or so ago so I made a start.
I decided on good birch 17 ply 24mm.. I was going to use a lighter eruo ply but decided the weight didn't matter and would make the construction simpler... Cutting it was easy with good Festool tools...
Head end and sides cut and dry fit in the truck... I had an idea how I wanted it to look.. I wanted a toe space rather than making the base the same size as the mattress.. I had the mattress already... made for me specially at Waikato Bedding.. I spared no expense since this is likely the last bed I buy... and will likely die in it.. :o...
Next was to join the pieces... Out with the great Festool Domino tool.... Boy heaven...!
Dominos drilled and loose fit.. This will be a very strong joint once glued up... later.
Angle pieces cut... but not for the foot piece... I wanted to dry fit again and work out how long they should be... I am still winging it here... home made clamps holding it in place..
All done.. Domino'd and dry fit together... I put the mattress on the top and wasn't happy... the kick space I wanted was hardly noticeable... So back to the drawing board.. I cut 100mm off the head board end... and adjusted the width of the other panels... and re-domino'd it back together...
All done.. I put some dividers in the middle to cater for the different things I wanted to do with the space... I haven't glued it all together yet as I figured I wanted to be able to build the frame and slats once the bed is in place. and to do that I wanted to line the back of the truck first... This job is always changing.. . I worked out that before I can line the back I needed to at least put the strapping on the ceiling so I can put the lining against batons I need to glue it to... So change of plans..
Half a day just sitting and looking at this stage... how the hell do I do this... and what with... Then looking at my stash of timber and ply I see I had saved the floor that I had taked out and replaced... Some of it had lead in it and too heavy to remain.. but the remainder of the floor was good 14mm ply which was perfect to be recycled to ceiling strapping.
First 3 boards up... not very easy to do on my own but managing with props...
More than half way... I went around the hatch... I had not thought how I was going to finish the hatchway but now that I have done this I can see it is not going to be too difficult... Props doing their work while I fasten the plank.
Strapping all done... or mostly done.. I have to work out now how to transition down the rear wall... I spent half the day today working it out but not making much progress... Some days are just like that... Tomorrow is Christmas Day... Not that I do Christmas but I might take a day off for a self retreat.
Categories: Motorhome Building