|Posted by XenaCommander on May 9, 2016 at 10:55 PM|
Last post I said that I would assemble the bed next... Well that was the plan... But I figured that it would be easier to line the rear wall and paint it without the bed in place so I changed plan... I debated not lining the rear wall as most of it will be covered with the bed and cupboards.. But there will still be some wall showing so I thought it would be better to line it all rather than line just the bits that were showing.
I also had to work out where the electrics were going to go so I could pull the wires through at the correct place... Not having finalised my design for the cupboards etc I had to make a decision. Fingers crossed I get it close...
Looks nice if you like a lot of wood.. But I don't like too much... I want to paint it a light neutral colour and use wood as a trim feature... So off to Resene I go to get undercoat and final coat...
Painting is not one of my favourite pass times but with a good roller I made short work of getting the undercoat on..
The room brightens up with the undercoat all done.. Now for the final coats.
All done... I was going to to with a blue.. but in the end I decided on a very light grey called "Concrete".
View looking forward... Looks ok.. and the space is starting to feel like a room now.
Being such a large piece of furniture I couldn't build the bed base in the workshop and carry it in.. which would have been my preference so I had to assemble the bits in the truck.... All the pieces were already cut out so I carried them all in and started assembly.
I found some pipe clamp attachments in a tea chest so I walked around to the local engineers shop and got some pipe.. These made the job much easier... The ply base all glued and assembled. I left it overnight to dry.
Once dry I varnished the base... I was going to paint it but the light birch ply looks so nice I decided to varnish instead. Now to assemble the frame on to of the base.
Frame together and hinges going on. I bought these hinges for something else but never got used... They are perfect for this job.
Frame on and varnished. looking good.. I also assembled some internal compartments... Not sure how functional they are but they brace the sides.
Now for the slats... This was going to be interesting...
To get them all centered I made a template but of course nothing is perfectly square I had to check placement of each slat.
So far so good.. from here I used the foot end to work out how to place the rest of the slats.
All slats down except for the last one.. I will need the rail to be on to place that one... Note the first part of the rail is on top left...
All rails glued together and clamped in place... Now to screw them down.. So many screws..
Rails all screwed down.. Rails varnished and looking good.
The bed top all assembled and working well.. I have orded gas struts that will make it easier to lift to get access underneath...
Bed all finished.. while the varnish was drying I jumped up and fit the LED lights..
Mattress on the base and it is ready for use.. I will likely leave the protective plastic on until bedroom construction is finished...
Next the sliding door for the bedroom.
Categories: Motorhome Building